Development and Home Improvement Projects in the Floodplain

The Preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) are our current regulatory map for development in the floodzone. Residents should look to Preliminary Mapping in the FEMA Flood Map Service Center to determine Base Flood Elevation (BFE) for building construction code purposes. BFE is the elevation to which floodwater is anticipated to rise during the base flood.

If you are looking to build or perform a home improvement project in a regulated floodplain, here is a summary of the permitting and inspection process:Apply -> Floodplain Management Review -> Engineering Dept. Review -> Building Permit -> CO