- Tax Assessment
The Assessor's Office is responsible for retaining all data that may reflect either the value or ownership of all property located in the Middletown Township. The following property information is available through the Tax Assessor's Office:
- Block and lot, property location, assessments, deed and sales information, map information (lot sizes, lot location, streets), tax rates, and tax ratio
- Subdivision Information - After approval by the Planning and Development Department
- The Assessor's Office divides the bulk block and lot into the number of lots involved in the division, making new line items and assessments
- Map corrections (street vacations, lots created)
- Variance list (for pools, sub-divisions, additions, etc.) notification to properties within 200 feet
Please note: Applications for variances are obtained in the Planning Department. Information for the variance list is obtained in the Assessor's Office.
- Search information regarding tax assessment: additions to property, part of search request through the Tax Collection Office
- District-wide Annual Reassessment
- Assessment Inspections
- Tax Assessment Appeal
- Property Tax Relief Programs
2023 District-wide Annual Reassessment
The annual district-wide reassessment to 100% market value (“True Value” 1) is complete for tax year 2023.
Find your new property assessment
If you agree with the assessed value shown, you do not need to do anything.
If you disagree with the assessed value shown, you may file an appeal with the Monmouth County Board of Taxation. Forms, instructions and a guide to the process Understanding Property Assessment Appeals for Monmouth County are all available on the County's website. Assessment appeals filed with the Monmouth County Board of Taxation must be filed on or before January 15, 2023.
One week prior to the inspection, a notification card will be sent to each homeowner detailing the process. The inspections take place in groups of 1,000 and will be mailed throughout the year. If you have not received a letter, there is no need to contact the Assessor’s Office. The annual inspection cycle takes place in 5 year intervals and thus, your area may not be inspected this year. Appraisal Systems, Inc. will conduct the interior/exterior inspections throughout the Township. The inspectors will carry photographic identification visible at all times and wear shirts with company insignia. The inspectors will knock on the front door in an attempt to gain interior access to each property. If after repeated knocks the inspector finds the owner is not home, they are instructed to walk the property, measure the exterior and take a front and rear photo.
Assessment Records Search
The Monmouth County records system allows you to search for assessed value, sales data, ownership information, tax list history, property record cards, annual assessment postcards and more.
Tax Map Search
The Tax Map Search allows you to search Tax Map information
Obtain a non-certified copy of a deed by visiting the Monmouth County Records Search page.
(Non-Usable 2 sales Filtered NU: #0,7,10,26,33, Excluded: #1-6,8-9,11-25, 27-32)
File an appeal online (complete appeal guide and instructions also available)
- The original petition must be filed with the County Board of Taxation (address below).
- A copy must be served upon the assessor of the municipality in which the property is located or, in the case of a municipal appeal, served upon the taxpayer.
- A copy must be served upon the clerk of the municipality in which the property is located or, in the case of a municipal appeal, served upon the taxpayer.
- A copy should be retained by the petitioner.
- Any supporting documents attached to the original petition must also be attached to the assessor’s and municipal clerk’s copies.
County Board of Taxation
Hall of Records
1 East Main Street
Freehold, NJ 07728
(Non-usable 2 sales Filtered NU: #0,7,10,26,33, Excluded: #1-6,8-9,11-25, 27-32)
1 “True Value” is defined in N.J.S.A. 54:4-23 as the “…full and fair value of each parcel of real property situate in the taxing district at such price as, in his [the assessor’s] judgment, it would sell for at a fair and bona fide sale by private contract on October 1 next preceding the date on which the assessor shall complete his assessments…”
2 Excluded Sales not used in the Sales Ratio database for equalization calculations are called non-usable sales.
Guidelines on non-usable sales and their usability in the Sales Ratio Study (PDF)
Annual Property Tax Deduction for Senior Citizens, Disabled Persons
Annual deduction of up to $250 from property taxes for homeowners age 65 or older or disabled who meet certain income (not exceeding $10,000) and residency requirements. Eligibility Requirements & Claim Form (PDF)
Required Supplemental Income Form (PDF)
Annual Deduction for Veterans
Annual deduction of up to $250 from taxes due on the real or personal property of qualified veterans and their unmarried surviving spouses/surviving civil union partners/surviving domestic partners.
Eligibility Requirements & Claim Form (PDF)
Property Tax Exemption for Disabled Veterans
Full exemption from property taxes on a principal residence for certain totally and permanently disabled war veterans and their unmarried surviving spouses/surviving civil union partners/surviving domestic partners. Unmarried surviving spouses/surviving civil union partners/surviving domestic partners of servicepersons who died on wartime active duty may also qualify.
Eligibility Requirements & Claim Form (PDF)
Property Tax Reimbursement (Senior Freeze)
You may be eligible for a reimbursement of the difference between the amount of property taxes you paid for the base year (the year you first became eligible) and the amount paid for the year for which you are applying for a reimbursement if you met all the following requirements for the base year and for each succeeding year, up to and including the year for which you are claiming the reimbursement.
Eligibility Requirements & Claim Form or call 1.800.882.6597.
Homestead Benefit Program
You may be eligible for a New Jersey homestead benefit.
Eligibility Requirements & Claim Form or call 1.877.658.2972
Local Property Tax Forms
Local Property Tax Forms and Applications provided by the New Jersey Division of Taxation
Tax Assessor Forms
- Address Change Form (PDF)
- Farmland Assessment (PDF)
- Further Statement - Re-filing for Tax Exemptions (PDF)