Travel advisory originally published by Monmouth County
January 4, 2023
Bridge replacement activity for the week of 1/2/2023 is scheduled for Tuesday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., weather permitting.
Please consider extra travel time for temporary delays due to approach roadway construction work associated with the bridge replacement.
Multiple activities are anticipated on Thursday, 1/5/23.
NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN ON RUMSON ROAD (CR 520) (POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
On Thursday, January 5th, weather permitting, the roadway alignment in Rumson between Ward Avenue and the bridge will shift to the north.
- Roadway users should be aware of possible lane shifts and alternating traffic during the switch to the new traffic pattern.
- Flaggers may assist with brief traffic interruptions and uniformed police will provide traffic control.
SIDEWALK TO BE CLOSED ON SOUTH SIDE OF BRIDGE (POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
On Thursday, January 5 th, weather permitting, the sidewalk on the south side of the bridge will be closed until further notice.
- The crosswalk at the Ward Avenue/Rumson Road intersection will be moved to the east side of the intersection.
- There will be signage to direct pedestrians in Rumson and Sea Bright to the sidewalk on the north side of the bridge.
BRIDGE PILE DELIVERIES CONTINUE
- Bridge piles deliveries are anticipated for Tuesday, January 3rd to Friday, January 6th.
- Uniformed police will assist with traffic control during the deliveries.
- Deliveries are scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. to avoid school drop-off and pick-up times. If the schedule changes based on field conditions, delivery may occur after 3:30 p.m.
- For safe passage of all, the traffic delivery pattern involves temporary disruption of vehicle and pedestrian movement over the bridge and may affect traffic flow on Ocean Avenue (Route 36) in Sea Bright and Rumson Road (CR 520) in Rumson.
- During staging of the pile deliveries, vehicle traffic across the bridge will be alternated in the westbound lane and the eastbound sidewalk will be closed.
- During lifting and moving of the bridge pile to the trestle in the river, both travel lanes and sidewalks will be closed for approximately 10 minutes.
- Additional bridge pile deliveries are anticipated every week, weather permitting. With each delivery, vehicles and pedestrians may expect temporary lane and sidewalk closures as noted above.
- Bridge openings for marine traffic will not be affected by the pile deliveries.
NAVIGATIONAL CHANNEL REDUCTION STILL IN EFFECT
- The navigational channel width has been reduced from 75' to 65'. The reduction is expected to remain in effect until Fall 2023.
- Work activity will continue in the water south of the bridge on both sides of the river.
Please visit www.rumsonseabrightbridge.com for updates and more information about the Rumson-Sea Bright Bridge project.