Renew Your Dog License Before March 1st to Avoid Additional Late Fees
The Middletown Health Department would like to remind residents that all dog licenses should have been renewed by Jan 31st. Any dog license that was not renewed will incur a $5.00 late fee through February 28th. If you haven’t renewed yet, please do so before the next late fee of an additional $2.00 starts on March 1st.
All dogs and cats must be licensed in Middletown. You may obtain a license online through the citizen portal, at the Health Department Office (180 Main Street, Port Monmouth), or by mailing your license to the Health Department's attention to 1 Kings Highway, Middletown, NJ 07748. Please call 732-615-2097 for more information.
NJ State Animal Cruelty Laws
The State of New Jersey takes cruelty to animals very seriously. Please CLICK HERE to read documents about what constitutes animal cruelty, what the laws are, and how to identify and prevent animal cruelty and neglect.
If you would like a printed copy of these documents, you may obtain them from the Middletown Township Health Department located at 180 Main Street in Port Monmouth or you can contact Animal Control at 732-615-2097 to have a copy mailed or emailed to you.
Health Department's Responsibilities
The Health Department oversees Public Health Issues, Environmental Concerns, Animal Control, Substance Abuse Services and Social Services. They also administer and enforce local health ordinances. Responsibilities of this department include:
- Operating programs and activities for mosquito and rodent control, and administering dog regulations
- Planning and administering a comprehensive public health program including environmental sanitation, communicable disease control, child and adult health education, laboratory services
- Public recreational bathing, Septic, Well, Kennel/Pet Shop, Retail food establishment inspections
Cold Weather Safety
- Carbon Monoxide Kills Every Year -
During New Jersey’s 2017 – 2018 heating season, the state’s poison control center received approximately 250 calls related to carbon monoxide (CO). Of these, 162 victims were evaluated in emergency departments and many required hospitalization.
Don’t be the poison center’s next statistic. Exposure to carbon monoxide can produce headaches, sleepiness, fatigue, confusion and irritability at low levels. At higher levels, it can result in nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, impaired vision and coordination, and death. During cold and influenza season, symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can easily be confused with symptoms of viral illnesses like the common cold and the flu.
Safety tips to help reduce your risk of carbon monoxide exposure:
- If you do not have any carbon monoxide detectors, install them right away. If your detectors are old and/or not working properly, replace them immediately.
- Don’t remove the batteries from detectors to use somewhere else. The detector can only save lives if it works.
- Gas appliances must have adequate ventilation. If need be, keep a window slightly cracked to allow airflow.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use. Have chimneys inspected periodically to prevent blockage.
- Never use the stove to heat your home/apartment.
- Only use generators outside. Keep them more than 20 feet from both you and your neighbor’s home, doors, or windows.
- Do not bring generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, garage, carport, camper, boat cabin, or tent – or even outside near an open window or door.
- DO NOT cook with charcoal indoors.
- DO NOT idle a car in a closed garage. Once you pull in, immediately turn off the engine. Be extra careful with “remote start” engines which may be on without your knowledge.
If you suspect a carbon monoxide exposure, take immediate action:
- If someone is unconscious or unresponsive, get him or her out of the house and call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Exit the house/building immediately. Do not waste time opening windows. This will delay your escape and cause you to breathe in even more dangerous fumes.
- Contact your local fire department/energy provider.
- Call the NJ Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate medical treatment advice. Do not waste time looking for information on the internet about carbon monoxide poisoning. Call us for fast, free and accurate information.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious. If you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or suspect CO exposure, call the medical professionals at the NJ Poison Control Center. If someone is unconscious, not breathing, hard to wake up, or seizing, call 9-1-1 immediately. Poison control centers are a great resource for information and emergencies. Call, text, or chat with a health professional for free, 24/7. Save the Poison Help line, 1-800-222-1222, in your phone today to be prepared for what may happen tomorrow, (www.njpies.org).
Beginning this month, New Jersey American Water will temporarily change the water treatment process from a chloramine (combination) residual to free chlorine residual at the company’s Swimming River Water Treatment Plant in Colts Neck. Read on...
The Middletown Municipal Alliance Presents the "Drugs and Alcohol Among Us" Series
Knowledge is the first step. Click HERE to watch the introductory video to learn more about the opioid epidemic and find out what Middletown Township is doing to help fight it.
- Health Department Newsletter
- Individual Subsurface Sewage Disposal Permit Application (PDF)
- Middletown Health Fall Newsletter 2017
- Pet License Application (PDF)
- Questions & Answers about Adult Mosquito Treatments from County Mosquito Control
- TEMPORARY FOOD ESTABLISHMENT PERMIT APPLICATION UPDATED 1 2019
- VPH 28 Exemption from Rabies Vaccination (PDF)
- Plan Reviw Application Updated Jannuary 2019