Reduce waste - learn backyard composting
The Monmouth County Planning Board has announced its spring 2012 Backyard Composting schedule for Monmouth County residents.
After an informative 45-minute presentation you will know the how-to’s of reducing your yard and household waste and improving your soil. The advance registration sessions are as follows:
- Thursday, March 29 at 7 p.m. – Fair Haven Youth Center, 30 Fisk St., Fair Haven
- Thursday, April 12 at 7 p.m. – Holmdel Municipal Building, 4 Crawfords Corner Rd., Holmdel
- Sunday, April 22 at 10 a.m. – Deep Cut Gardens, 352 Red Hill Rd., Middletown
- Saturday, April 28 at 10 a.m. – Lake Como Municipal Building, 1740 Main St., Lake Como
There is no charge to attend the workshops, but space is limited and advance registration is required. Register by calling 732-431-7460 or by downloading the registration form from the recycling section of the county Planning Board’s Web site at www.visitmonmouth.com
Participants may also purchase an Earth Machine backyard composting bin at the session for $35. Payment must be by a check made payable to Monmouth County Grant Fund.
If you already compost and would like to purchase an Earth Machine backyard compost bin, you may do so for $35 at one of the five towns that have partnered with the county to expand composting opportunities for residents:
- Hazlet DPW – White Bldg., 39 Leocadia Ct., 732-787-3573, ext. 21
- Spring Lake Heights DPW, 555 Atlantic Ave., 732-449-6983
- Ocean Township, 240 Whalepond Rd., 732-531-5000, ext. 3364
- Upper Freehold Municipal Building, 314 Rt. 539, 609-758-7715
- Freehold Township DPW – Jackson Mills Road, 732-294-2161
You should call first for availability and hours for pickup. Payment must be by a $35 check made payable to the “Monmouth County Grant Fund.”