Marriage/Civil Union License Application
Richard DeBenedetto, CMR
Vital Statistics, Health Department
180 Main St., Port Monmouth, NJ 07758
Phone: 732.615.2094 |Fax: 732.671.8697
The Registrar's Office hours for applying for marriage, civil union, domestic partnership, remarriage and reaffirmation of a civil union and all certified copies of vital records requests are performed BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please allow at least a minimum of (1) one month with a maximum of (6) six months before the scheduled event for a marriage/civil union/remarriage/ reaffirmation of a civil union or domestic partnership application in order to obtain an appointment to ensure there are no conflicts with your intended ceremony day.
*Effective Feb 19, 2007*
Marriage / Civil Union Licenses may be applied for in the municipality where either party resides, and is valid in any municipality in the State of New Jersey. If neither party is a resident of New Jersey, the application is to be made in the municipality where the marriage is to be performed. (Note: This license will only be valid in the municipality that issued the license.)
The marriage / civil union license application, Reg-77 may be downloaded by clicking here. (Note: Applicants may only complete page one of this application. The rest of this application must completed in the presence of the Registrar.)
An application for a marriage / civil union license must be physically submitted no later than 72 hours prior to the marriage / civil union event. There is a $28.00 filing fee for a marriage / civil union license. A marriage / civil union license application must be filed by appointment only. In order to avoid any possibility of an appointment not being available please contact the Registrar's Office for an appointment 3 to 6 months before the event but no later than one month before the event.
For two persons to establish a civil union in New Jersey:
- They must not be in a party to another civil union, domestic partnership, or marriage.
- They must be the same sex and at least 18 years of age, except as provided for the consent of minors
- Couples that are currently registered as domestic partners, who are the same sex, may enter into a civil union with the same partner.
What you should bring with you when you apply for a Marriage / Civil Union License:
- If you are divorced or have had a marriage / civil union annulled, please bring the divorce decree or the civil annulment documents.
- If your former spouse is deceased, please bring a certified copy of the death certificate.
- A valid photo copy of your driver's license or state issued identification along with a certified birth certificate (with parents names preferred) and/or a valid passport.
- Proof of residency.
- Your social security card or social security number (required by law and will be kept confidential).
- A witness (18 years or older with valid I.D.) who knows both applicants.
- The $28.00 application fee.
To apply for a certified copy of your marriage / civil union license/ remarriage or reaffirmation of a civil union, download & complete the Vital Statistics Request Form. You may request a certified copy of your vital record only if the event took place in Middletown Township. Vital Statistics and Records information requests will not be honored via telephone.
Click here for information on Wedding Ceremonies